Mandalay Palace (The Mya Nan San Kyaw - The Royal Golden Palace) is the last royal palace of the last Burmese monarchy.
King Mindon, who founded the Royal City of Yatanabon, built the Mya Nan San Kyaw, the Royal Palace, on 6th waning day of Kason, M.E 1221 ( A.D 1857 ). It is surrounded by the rectangular shaped walls, each of which stretches 8.25 kilometres long, and again by the moat which is 68.58m wide and 3.35m deep. Formerly, there existed 114 royal apartments, which, being built on 3.35m high platform, covered 152.4m wide.
On 17 March, 1945, during the air raid of the British forces against the Japanese, the Royal Palace was ruined into ashes. (Myanmar Net)